Saturday, May 10, 2014

Maria, Maria...

 I'm really excited to share this look with all of you!!! As a Mexican-American a lot of my influences on beauty and culture come from Mexico. So this time I wanted to create a makeup look inspired by a famous Mexican Actress. The most iconic Mexican film actress that comes to most Latinos minds would have to be Maria Felix. Known for her beauty, raised brow, and don't take no B.S. attitude, she quickly rose to fame and is a legend in Mexico. Without further ado, I present to you Maria Felix...


What a stunning woman and since I have short hair I decided to replicate this picture plus one other where she is wearing a scarf over her hair. I considered purchasing a wig but felt this would make a better headshot where you can focus on the makeup (plus it was cheaper to purchase feathers from a craft store!). Ok, ok.... I'll admit it, the peacock feather looks really cool and I wanted the feather :). After purchasing the feathers from Joann's I was able to create my Maria Felix inspired look...




Lets look at them side by side.


What do you think? Did I get close? We feel we did, check me out in color...


Whoa!! What a difference color makes, now lets break down the makeup required to create this look.

  • Brows: Very high arch, defined with a brow pencil. She obviously had thicker eye brows than I do, so the thicker the better.
  • Eyeshadow: Base is a bone color or light vanilla. Crease is a dark brown blended up toward the brow bone. The dark brown is also applied on the bottom lash line.
  • Eyeliner: Black eyeliner with a wing (not placed too high, she applied it lower than Marilyn Monroe). Dark brown eyeliner is applied on the lower lash line for more definition. White eyeliner is applied to your water line (inside of your lower lash line) to create the illusion of larger eyes.
  • Face: I use powder foundation and bronzer for the cheeks, contour was applied on my cheek bone to create a more defined look.
  • Lips: Red lipstick and gloss.
  • Lashes: Black mascara and false lashes. Her lashes pass her natural lash line to give the illusion of larger eyes. Black mascara is applied to the lower lashes as well.

Maria Felix is one of the most iconic female actresses of Mexican cinema and in 1940s-50s she was considered one of the most beautiful women of film. Her nicknames are "La Dona" (due to her role in the film Dona Barbara in 1943) and "Maria Bonita". In her films she was strong, fierce, and glamourous. Online and on Pinterest you'll find many pictures of her, her eyebrow always raised. It was her signature, that "don't mess with me" look. 

This is a famous picture from a film called Enamorada


I wrapped a scarf around my head and that was pretty much it. Easy and simple.


Side by side....


Close up's of the same look.


This close you can see the details in the face.


She also has a face forward picture wearing the same scarf, more of her face is exposed.


The scarf wasn't working with us so we created our own scarf with a pattern.


She obviously had more shadows on her face but the concept is still there. 


I tried my best to give that I'm hot stuff with attitude look but Maria has it down perfectly, I look more like a pissed off Mona Lisa. LOL Especially with the flat scarf wrapped around my head but hey it's all in good fun. And my eyelashes look amazing so I'm happy with that :). 


Gotta show off that red lip in color....


Tapping into my inner Dona Barbara was fun, I'm on a mission to recreate more looks. Too fun not to =D. Keep checking our blog every week for more of our creations and shenanigans or just subscribe. Till next time.

Much Love, V&L



2 comments: